Marketing Tip #17: Lumpy Mailers Get Opened First
What is a lumpy mailer?
Well, lumpy mailers may just be the best kept secret of direct marketing. When the mail arrives, most folks briefly swish through it to collect the checks, ignore the bills for the moment, and throw the rest in the trash. The lumpy mailer is an exception to that process. So what is a lumpy mailer? Anything other than traditional flat mail that is bulky or lumpy. Lumpiness provokes curiosity that can drastically increase your direct mail open rate and response rate.
Lumpy Mailer Tips
- Have a good reason to distribute lumpy mail.
- This type of direct mail campaign is typically more expensive than flat mail thus you will want to use this tool more judiciously than other direct mail campaigns. Costs can include the packaging (tubes or unusual size boxes), the unique item(s) in the box plus shipping or postage fees.
- Reward their expectations.
- The reason an interesting parcel beats an envelope every time is that you’re setting up the expectation in the recipient’s mind that it isn’t going to be just another bill or flyer. Reward their expectations by making sure that the lump is something that will pique their interest or be useful in some way. It doesn’t have to be expensive, but a product sample or practical promotional item are a worthwhile application of the lumpy mailer concept. Unlike the child who opens the giant birthday present box to find another smaller box inside of it, you want the recipient to feel intrigued instead of duped. If the preferred result is to have them contact you, be memorable and always leave them feeling good.
- Copy still counts.
- A lump alone will certainly attract the attention you want. And, great copy in your messaging will explain the purpose of that lump of coal or warm can of beer. Be sure to tie in your physical product to your message with a call to action. This should be a memorable campaign.
Now, go have some fun with this or give us a call to help put your campaign in motion.