Total World Domination – in Five Steps
Peek into Marketing Matters’ Proprietary System
It’s a story we all know too well… A start-up finally musters up decent funding. It’s list of investors reads like an answer to the question: If you could invite anyone in the world, who would you have at a dinner party? The start-up throws a fabulous launch party, their media coverage is outstanding. Then fast forward a few years later, and the once-darling of the tech industry has plummeted into obscurity, turning into yet another cautionary tale.
The U.S. Census Bureau reports that every year in the United States, 400,000 new businesses open. At the same time, 470,000 new businesses are estimated to close. Passion, drive, creativity, and relentless determination will only get you so far. For any business, in any industry, to survive – but especially in the tech industry – businesses need a solid marketing strategy to drive revenue.
As Coleen Sterns Leith states in her book Ultra Hi Def Marketing: 5-Step Guide to World Domination in the Tech Industry “The reason why so many companies are in trouble is simple – they don’t have enough sales or are unable to manage their expenses. Sales, with good expense management, is the “cure-all” for any business. You can survive bad management, a poor process, or even a fire if you are making enough money. However, even with great management, a great process, and a clean warehouse, you will go out of business without enough sales.” And what drives sales? Marketing.
Five Steps to Market Your Company Like an Expert
In her book, Sterns breaks down the complex world of marketing into five crucial steps. Be it in the B2B or B2C space, her system offers a rock-solid foundation to market tech companies. Let’s take a look:
- Identify – Who you are, your audience, your goals, your corporate identity. In other words, define your business.
- Simplify – Sometimes we want to show that we know what we’re talking about – but what do people say about show-offs? If your marketing copy reads like a list of specs that only engineers understand, you’re losing out on business because people don’t get what you do. Simplifying your message will go a long way.
- Toolify – There are tons of shiny toys for a tech marketer’s toolbox. Which should you adopt, and which should you say goodbye to?
- Amplify – You have a message and a platform. Now, what’s the best way to get it out there?
- Tweakify – A marketer’s job is never done. Learn how to test, measure, and adjust your marketing campaign based on what your analytics are telling you.
If you’re in the pursuit of owning the tech space and remain atop this ever-changing market, check out Coleen’s book Ultra Hi Def Marketing.